General expectations while in rehabilitation
While on the inpatient rehab unit, you will be supported by a quality team of skilled, trained professionals, all dedicated to helping you in your recovery.
Your day-to-day care as outlined by our physician team will be managed by our inpatient rehab team, with specialized rehabilitation physicians always accessible if an adjustment to your care plan is needed. Some of these team members include:
- Skilled Nursing
- Rehabilitation Certified Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Nursing Care Partners
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Therapists
- Recreation Therapist
- Rehabilitation Social Worker offering guidance during your stay
- Neuro Psychology Resident
Also, since our locations are within Sentara hospitals and medical centers, you will also benefit from additional amenities, including:
- Diagnostic and laboratory services on-site
- Rehab gym including a variety of treatment equipment
- Full kitchen and laundry for training
We are committed to the well-being of all our residents and are dedicated to creating an extraordinary health-care experience. We are here to be your partner on the road to improved health, strength and independence.
Requirements for Admission
- Requires at least two therapies (Physical Therapy and Occupational and/or Speech Therapy)
- Must tolerate three hours of therapy per day, 5-6 days per week
- Requires daily monitoring by a physician and 24-hour nursing care
- Demonstrates medical stability, motivation and cognitive ability to participate in an intensive therapy program
- Patients are expected to return home with family support and an identified caregiver
- Each patient is required to have non-skid shoes for the gym and regular clothing.
Common diagnoses include, but are not limited to: stroke, spinal cord injury, amputation, major multiple trauma, brain injury, burns, bilateral joint replacement, arthritis affecting two or more weight-bearing joints, systemic vasculitides with joint inflammation and other neurological disorders (i.e. multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy Guillian Barre and Parkinson’s Disease)
*Individual insurance companies may have different criteria for patient admission and coverage.