If you had a heart attack, heart surgery or an invasive cardiology procedure, then cardiac rehabilitation is a necessary part of your recovery.
Cardiac rehabilitation, or rehab, is necessary for all patients after heart surgery or a heart attack, or after an invasive cardiology procedure. At Sentara, we begin your rehab right in the hospital, and then you continue in an outpatient program. During your rehab, we prepare you to return to work and resume your normal activities. Your cardiac rehab team will include a:
• Registered nurse
• Exercise physiologist
• Exercise leader
• Registered dietitians/nutritionists
We also offer community-based facilities that provide ongoing fitness and healthy lifestyle programs designed especially for patients with heart disease. Watch a short video about Sentara’s rehabilitation program.
Cardiac Rehab: Sentara’s Approach
At Sentara Heart, we know that cardiac rehab is not one-size-fits-all. We create an individualized cardiac rehab program that addresses your needs. Most cardiac rehab programs last 12 weeks; we will modify your program based on your needs, your doctor’s recommendation and your insurance coverage.
Download our brochure about Sentara Heart Rehabilitation
Our program features:
• Supervised exercise. A specially trained cardiac staff monitors your heart rhythm and blood pressure, increasing your exercise level as you gain strength.
• Support. In group settings or one-on-one, we encourage you to share how you are dealing with challenges of everyday living.
• Convenience. Everything you need to become heart healthy—and stay that way—is in one convenient location, including our experienced medical staff.
Cardiac Rehab at Sentara: Services We Provide
At Sentara, we are with you every step of the way during your cardiac rehabilitation. From inpatient to outpatient rehab, we supervise your program and monitor your progress.
Program features include:
• Supervised exercise classes
• Behavior modification programs for risk factor modification, including stress management and smoking cessation
• Cholesterol and blood pressure screenings
• Nutrition evaluation and diet therapy
• Individual and group support for families
Benefits of Cardiac Rehab
In addition to strengthening your heart, cardiac rehab helps you live a more heart-healthy lifestyle. During your cardiac rehab, you can:
• Get help (either through classes or one-on-one) to quit smoking
• Create a healthy eating plan together with a dietitian
• Learn how to lose weight
• Learn relaxation skills to reduce your stress
• Find a support system by meeting other cardiac patients who have similar experiences
Cardiac Rehab: Locations
Find a Sentara Heart Cardiac Rehab location near you.