Norfolk, VA - September 26, 2003 -
The public is invited to join staff at Sentara Leigh Hospital, located at 830 Kempsville Road, on Sunday, October 19 from 1 to 4 p.m. for the hospital's 100th Birthday Community Health Fair. The event will feature:
Free blood pressure, cholesterol and bone density screenings;
Patient safety and diabetes education;
Ongoing classes detailing what's involved with joint replacement surgery;
Tours of the hospital including the Ambulatory Surgery Center and Heart Center that debuted in fall 2001
Displays of hospital memorabilia and modern medical equipment;
The blood pressure and cholesterol screenings will be held in Heart Center, and the bone density screenings are scheduled for the classrooms. Screenings will be provided on a first come, first served basis and no prior registration is required. The public may call 1-800-SENTARA with questions about the event.
Sentara Leigh Hospital is a 250-bed facility featuring all private rooms and specializing in orthopedic, gynecological, general and urological services. Its Family Maternity Suite features 16 labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum suites and nine beds for other obstetric patients. The hospital's Breast Cancer Center features an all-female staff. The hospital also houses a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber to help speed the recovery of patients with major wounds, decompression sickness and carbon monoxide poisoning. Sentara Leigh Hospital History
The hospital had a modest beginning in 1903 when Dr. Southgate Leigh established Sarah Leigh Hospital as a private, 35-bed hospital in the Ghent section of Norfolk. Considered innovative for its time, the hospital featured one operating room, a state-of-the-art design including rounded corners for easy cleaning, a basement-based air-cooling system, fire protection and sound control features. The hospital rapidly developed a reputation for providing high quality health care.
In 1936, after Dr. Leigh's death, the hospital was reorganized as a non-profit institution and renamed Leigh Memorial Hospital. In 1972, Norfolk General Hospital and Leigh Memorial Hospital merged to form Medical Center Hospitals and were able to broaden the scope of health care services delivered to a growing population in Hampton Roads.
Leigh Memorial Hospital moved to its present site on Kempsville Road in 1977 and debuted as Sentara Leigh Hospital. The new, $21 million facility was positioned on 23.5 acres and featured all private rooms, an emphasis on natural light and a campus design that allowed functions to be clustered around a core of emergency, radiology, surgery and intensive care services.