— Events Saturday, October 30 in Newport News, Suffolk and Virginia Beach—
Newport News, VA (October 21, 2010) – Adults needing convenient and cost-effective flu shots can roll down their window and roll up their sleeve at three Sentara campuses.
Sentara offers drive-thru flu shots one day—Saturday, October 30 at three outpatient campuses in Newport News, Suffolk and Virginia Beach. The flu shots will be offered to adults needing flu shots from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., while supplies last.
As a community service, the flu shots are offered at a cost of $10, and this year’s shot includes protection from H1N1 and the seasonal virus. Cash and credit cards will be accepted, and Medicare payments will be handled on-site. The drive-thru flu shots are for adults ONLY. Child vaccinations are not available at these clinics.
Sentara Port Warwick
1031 Loftis Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23606
(Located at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Loftis Boulevard)
Sentara Princess Anne
1950 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
(Located off of Concert Drive)
3920 A Bridge Road
Suffolk, VA 23435
(Located on Route 17 in Northern Suffolk near the Bennett’s Creek Area)
For the first time, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyone six months or older to get a flu vaccine.
It's especially important for the following groups to get vaccinated for flu annually either because they are at high risk of serious flu-related complications or they are caring for people at high risk:
- Pregnant women.
- Children younger than five, but especially children younger than two years old.
- People over 50 years of age and older.
- People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions.
- People who living in nursing homes and other long-term facilities.
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu.
- Health care workers.
- Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu.
- Household contacts and out-of-home caregivers of children less than six months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated.)
While everyone who is eligible to get a flu vaccine is encouraged to get one, Sentara will NOT offer vaccine to those who:
- Are under 18 years of age (contact your health department or pediatrician for child immunization information.)
- Are allergic to eggs or egg products.
- Have a fever greater than 100.5 degrees on the day of the vaccination.
- Have had a severe reaction to thimerosol or formaldehyde
- Have ever been paralyzed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
Sentara Donates Flu Shots to the Community
During this flu season, Sentara will give about 3,800 free flu shots to groups as a community service through its Community Health and Prevention division.
Sentara also donated an additional 500 flu shots to Hampton Roads Community Health Center, formerly known as Portsmouth Community Health Center and Park Place Medical Center.
“The Sentara flu shots this year have been our life line in being able to provide flu vaccines to our patients,” says Barbara Willis, CEO Hampton Roads Community Health Center.
These shots will be used for Hampton Roads Community Health Center’s current adult patients, some of whom are uninsured or homeless. Hampton Roads Community Health Center operates two locations: 664 Lincoln Street, Portsmouth, VA and 3415 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA.
Sentara is the area’s leading not-for-profit health care provider. For more information about flu, visit www.sentara.com.