Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center is aware of how important visitors are to our patients. Our main focus is to assist the patient to a healthy recovery and to provide the best quality care possible.
We request that patients ask family and friends for their cooperation in adhering to our visiting policies. The hours will be enforced to respect the privacy and ensure the recovery of all our patients. We thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance in helping us with our commitment to Always Keep You Safe.
Please be advised that Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center has implemented a temporary visiting policy that is currently in effect and will continue until the end of the 2013 flu season. To take the best care of our patients, visitors and staff during flu season and to honor our commitment to always keep you safe, the following policies will be in effect until the end of the flu season:
- As part of our mission to improve health every day, it is our duty to limit potential exposure to patients, staff and visitors.
- Adults only (ages 18 & older) may visit patients.
- Visitors with any symptoms of flu-like illness are encouraged not to visit patients.
- Siblings under the age of 18 may not visit. Please do not bring children to the hospital unless they are coming for treatment or a surgical procedure.
- For Pediatrics and Post-Partum other restrictions apply.
- It is strongly recommended that all outpatients and visitors wear masks while at our facility. Even if you’ve received the flu vaccine, we strongly recommend wearing a mask as the vaccine is not 100% effective and it is our duty to limit exposure to patients, staff and visitors.
Normal Visiting Hours
Hematology/Oncology, Medicine, Cardiac/Telemetry, Surgical & Orthopedics, Bariatrics
Adults: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult)
Overnight Stays: One adult is permitted to stay overnight.
Intensive Care & Intermediate Care
Immediate Family Only (ages 12 and over): 12 noon to 3 p.m. and 5 to 8 p.m.
Overnight Stays: One adult is permitted to stay until 8 a.m. Please see charge nurse for details.
KidsPORT / Pediatrics
Parents: 24 hours a day (one parent may remain overnight)
Siblings (accompanied and supervised by an adult): 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
All Other Visitors (Adults only): 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Fathers: Open visitation
Immediate Family: 12 noon to 8 p.m.
Siblings of Infant: 12 noon to 5 p.m. for 30 minutes accompanied and supervised by an adult.
All other visitors (Adults only, two visitors per patient at any time): 6 to 8 p.m.
Visiting hours are 24 hours a day. Visitors may at times be limited in the patient’s room. Please see charge nurse for details.
Visiting hours are 24 hours and limited to two visitors. For health reasons, we discourage children from visiting the Emergency Department but understand that this is not always possible. Please ask for more specific guidelines when visiting the Emergency Department.
*Note: All visiting hours and restrictions are subject to change