Most of us take breathing for granted.
Like the beating of the heart, breathing happens automatically. However, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing or too much mucus in the lungs increases breathing difficulty. Our team helps patients take control of their breathing with comprehensive and individualized programs.
Support for Patients and Families
Our highly qualified and experienced Pulmonary Rehabilitation staff members are specifically trained to assist you and your family by offering:
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Oxygen Saturation Monitoring
- Breathing Retraining Instruction
- Dietary Counseling
- Exercise Instruction
- Lung Hygiene Education
- Relaxation/Stress Management Counseling
- Smoking Cessation Education
- Maintenance Program Counseling
Who Can Participate?
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is beneficial to patients with the following:
- Chronic Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Reactive Airways Disease
Ask your primary care physician, internist or pulmonologist about participating in our Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation program. Our team will work closely with your physician and upgrade activities with their approval.
Please note, our team will explain which rehabilitation services are covered by your insurance.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Benefits
- Reduction in panic and anxiety attacks caused by shortness of breath
- Improved ability to cope with stress and lifestyle changes
- Confidence in resuming activities
- Reduction of shortness of breath during exertion
- Increased work capacity
- Improved efficiency of heart and lungs
- Improved muscle tone and upper body strength
- Improved quality of life
- Learning to exercise safely
- Learning proper nutrition
- Learning about medications' uses and effects
What To Expect
Our specially trained staff will upgrade your activity and teach purse lip and diaphragmatic breathing techniques to reduce shortness of breath. Your oxygen saturation, heart rate and blood pressure are monitored during exercise.
In a group or one-on-one, patients are encouraged to communicate and share everyday lifestyle challenges. In addition, our staff offers educational materials to guide your activities and will help you set realistic goals essential to maintaining independence. Upon program completion, your physician(s) will receive your final progress report. We also offer an exercise maintenance program to encourage long-term benefits in your cardiopulmonary status.