Music and Medicine Programs include:
Music Therapy uses music as a targeted therapeutic tool to improve specific disorders. Team includes:
• Music Therapists
Music Medicine is bringing live performances to patient care settings to create a general well-being environment and enhance patient satisfaction. Team includes:
• Artist in residence
• Collaborating musicians
Performance Medicine is involved in preventing/treating problems of musicians, singers and dancers resulting from disuse or repetitive stress, helping stage fright and other performance-related problems, through a team multi- disciplinary approach that includes:
• Multispecialty Physician Team
• Physical/Occupational Therapy
• Musical Pedagogues (instrument professors)
• Vocal Coaching
• Haptonomy, Alexander Feldenkreis Specialists (touch, muscle tone & posture)
This will involve basic and clinical research to investigate the physiological and clinical effects of different components and types of music on the body, in health and disease. Research will be conducted through Sentara Medical Group and partnering educational institutions
Education and Outreach
• Educating the medical and musical communities about the impact of music on human health and its uses on patients.
• Educating the general public, parents, students and teachers of the importance of music education in brain development.
• Establishing an artist-in-residence program, partnering with high-level professional musicians, locally, nationally and internationally by inviting them to perform for our patients and promoting them through our relations with musical institutions across the country and in the world.
Have questions about the Sentara Music and Medicine Center? Call the Sentara Neurosciences Institute at 877-310-8713.