Sentara Life Care Corporation provides quality meals for the home bound in Norfolk, Portsmouth and surrounding communities. More than 850 nutritious meals are prepared and delivered each day by screened volunteers who offer not only nourishing meals but companionship.
About the Program
- There are no age restrictions to receive meals.
- Your physician can determine the need for service and diet instructions.
- A daily menu provides meal choices. Each tray contains a hot lunch, plus a sandwich, fruit and milk to be refrigerated for an evening meal.
- Professionally trained nutritionists provide special diet planning and supervision over the preparation of meals to ensure quality standards.
- No referrals are needed. However, physicians, community or religious organizations and family or friends can make a referral.
Two Service Options
- Short term: Available for people recovering from an illness or who need the service because caregivers are away.
- Long term: Available on a continual basis and evaluated periodically to determine the need for further service.
More than 500 volunteers support Sentara Mobile Meals. Volunteers use their own transportation to deliver nourishing meals right to the door. They are assigned to specific geographic areas and are invaluable for the daily friendship and social contact they provide. Mobile Meals does not receive government funding. As a nonprofit entity, tax deductible contributions are gratefully accepted. To learn more about volunteering, contact one of the centers below.
Sentara Mobile Meals – Norfolk
251 Newtown Road South
Norfolk, VA 23502
Sentara Mobile Meals- Churchland
5788 Churchland Blvd.
Portsmouth, VA 23703