Volunteers & Auxiliary
The RMH Auxiliary was created in 1911, when community members from the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County area came together for a common cause—to encourage community support and gather financial resources to help make Sentara RMH Medical Center a reality.
RMH Volunteer Auxiliary
Today, the RMH Volunteer Auxiliary (RMHVA) is made up of working and retired men and women, college students and teenagers who provide support and assistance to Sentara RMH patients, families and visitors.
The RMH Volunteer Auxiliary is open to those interested in:
- Supporting the mission of the Sentara RMHVA and the hospital
- Providing volunteer service to those served by Sentara RMH
- Supporting the special events and projects of the RMH Volunteer Auxiliary.
Sentara RMH volunteers are people just like you who offer their time and energy to helping our community and enhancing the quality of care provided to patients and visitors of Sentara RMH. Volunteers can choose the amount of time they give to Sentara RMH, whether it’s a few hours a week or a few days a month. Some of the ways in which volunteers serve include:
- Greeting and providing information to patients and visitors
- Escorting patients for tests or medical procedures
- Assisting customers in Sentara RMH Gifts & Floral
- Delivering newspapers, magazines, flowers and mail to patients
- Assisting patients and visitors in the Emergency Department, Hahn Cancer Center, Surgical Services, Heart and Vascular Center and other care areas
- Helping with special projects
The RMH Volunteer Auxiliary makes possible some very special projects in the hospital, including:
- Comfort toys, which are provided to pediatric patients to help comfort them during a test, treatment or surgical procedure
- Financial support—each year, the Sentara RMHVA makes a financial gift to the hospital through the RMH Foundation. This gift is used to purchase medical equipment and fill other special needs of the hospital
For more information, call Sentara RMH Volunteer Services at 540-689-6400.
RMH Volunteer Auxiliary Membership Options
There are no dues for junior and service volunteers, however for non-service members, dues are $15 a year.
Non-service members support the mission and goals of the Sentara RMHVA, but do not provide volunteer service at Sentara RMH.
Become a Member