Our adult and senior behavioral health inpatient programs provide diagnostic services and treatment for people 18 and older who are in crisis due to mental illness, emotional distress or destructive behavior patterns. Inpatient mental health treatment is provided at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, Sentara Obici Hospital, and Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital. Learn more about:
Sentara’s Team Approach to Behavioral Health
Our approach to care provides individualized treatment for adults and seniors that combines the diverse specialties and talents of our experts, including:
- Certified psychiatrists
- Psychiatric nurses
- Nurse practitioners
- Mental health technicians
- Grief counselors
- Substance abuse specialist
- Recreational therapists
- Social workers
Because our treatment facilities are located within local hospitals, patients have access to the full range of both psychiatric and medical care. This is especially helpful for patients experiencing symptoms that are confusing and impact their physical health.
Back to top
What does Inpatient Treatment at Sentara Behavioral Health Services Include?
At Sentara Behavioral Health Services, we believe in focusing our treatment on the person, not the symptoms. Our comprehensive inpatient treatment services include:
- 24-hour nursing service
- Daily treatment planning meetings with a physician
- Medication management and education
- Nutritional consultations and counseling/education
Case management and discharge planning that actively engages the patient and family
- Family therapy, as clinically indicated
- Group therapy
- Patient education groups
- Recreational therapy and pet therapy
Back to top
Inpatient Treatment at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital provides quality treatment for adults and seniors experiencing crisis due to mental illness, emotional distress, or destructive behavioral patterns.
Adult Care at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
The adult program is designed to stabilize patients who require a more controlled environment for healing and growth, as they learn to return to daily routines. Our 22-bed adult unit offers:
- Personalized care: Patients receive the care best suited for their individual needs
- Team approach: Norfolk General’s approach to care combines the diverse talents of our board certified psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, nurse practitioners, dietitians, mental health assistants, grief counselors, social workers, and recreational therapists.
- Safe and clinical environment: The adult unit at Norfolk General focuses on thought and mood conditions, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Patients and their families who face crisis situations related to these disorders, such as harmful behavior, dual diagnosis, and suicidal tendencies, find much comfort here.
The typical length of stay for adults is seven days.
Senior Care at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital’s 12-bed senior treatment center is a geriatric psychiatric unit for seniors 55 years of age and older. Patients come to this unit for the treatment of common disorders related to dementia and behavioral changes. Here, patients receive:
- Expert medical care: Our senior patients often face both psychological issues and medical needs. Norfolk General’s medical team treats the often complex needs of seniors.
- Personalized care: Each day, doctors, therapists, nurses and social workers meet with our senior patients 1:1. We treat no more than 10 patients at our geriatric care center at a time.
An average length of stay for seniors is 12 days.
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is located at:
600 Gresham Drive
Norfolk, VA 23507
Back to top
Inpatient Treatment at Sentara Obici HospitalSentara Obici Hospital’s inpatient adult psychiatric unit treats patients with less aggressive symptoms of mental illness. Our facility is designed with the healing process in mind. We offer:
- Personalized care: Each day, doctors, therapists, nurses and social workers meet with patients 1:1. We treat no more than 10 patients at our treatment center at a time.
- Healing environment: We offer a welcoming, comfortable, hotel-like environment where patients can spend several days focusing on their recovery.
- Team approach: Our medical and behavioral health team will work closely with you and your family, helping you improve your quality of life, together.
The average length of stay at Sentara Obici Hospital is 4-7 days.
Sentara Obici Hospital is located at:
2800 Godwin Boulevard
Suffolk, VA 23434
Back to top
Inpatient Treatment at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital’s behavioral health unit is currently in construction and will serve up to 24 patients when complete. Our treatment center is designed to be a restful, healing unit focused on adults (18 and older) and seniors. Behavioral health treatment at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital will include:
- • Holistic approach: Patients will receive a scheduled regimen of individual, group, and/or recreational therapy each day (including art and pet group therapy) from a team of experts.
- Family support: Virginia Beach will have open visitation during set hours of the day for friends and family. Exceptions and special accommodations can be arranged to make visitation possible in all circumstances.
- Healing environment: We will offer a welcoming, comfortable, hotel-like environment where patients can spend several days focusing on their recovery.
Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital is located at:
1060 First Colonial Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Please call (757) 395-8000 for additional information.
Back to top