Coleen Santa Ana
Coleen Santa Ana is the President of Sentara Albemarle Medical Center (SAMC), a 182-bed facility and multi-clinic enterprise within the Sentara Healthcare System. Ms. Santa Ana has been at Sentara Albemarle since December 2014. During her tenure, SAMC has achieved significant improvements in safety, quality and financial performance evidenced by the hospital’s first Leapfrog A rating as well as integrating Sentara’s newest acquisition from a -$8 million loss to break even. Sentara’s Northeastern North Carolina division has seen growth through rebuilding the region by strengthening and building new services as well as recruiting over 30 new healthcare providers. Ms. Santa Ana earned Modern Healthcare’s ‘Up and Comers Award’ in 2018.
Ms. Santa Ana is from Virginia Beach, VA and started her career with Sentara. After graduate school Santa Ana pursued a for profit career and served in several roles with Healthcare Corporation of American and Universal Health Services, including Chief Operating Officer prior to returning to Sentara. Prior to her President role with Sentara, Ms. Santa Ana played an integral role as a Corporate Senior Strategist in leading the Sentara Albemarle Medical Center Strategic Plan and facilitated the integration of Sentara’s newest hospital merger.
Current Professional Affiliations
- North Carolina Healthcare Association (Board Member)
- College of The Albemarle (Board Member)
- AHA Equity Care Award Committee Member (2019)
- Elizabeth City Area Chamber of Commerce (Ex-Officio Member)
- CIVIC Leadership Institute (Class of 2017)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (Member)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA) – MHA
- James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA) – BS
- Hospital Corporation of America (Denver, CO) – Admin. Fellowship Training