Dr. David James
Dr. David James joined Sentara Healthcare in 2018 and serves as President of Medical Groups and Ambulatory Services. In this position, he is responsible for oversight of the ambulatory services division and all four medical groups.
Before joining Sentara Healthcare, David served as SVP & CEO of Memorial Hermann Medical Group (MHMG) and Post-Acute Services in Houston, Texas. In his role with MHMG, he elevated the ambulatory platform by focusing and expanding operations into new lines of business and by designing and deploying numerous consumer-focused solutions. These included a multi-functional urgent care platform; a clinically integrated joint operating agreement with a line of retail care sites located in Houston-area grocery stores; and a one-stop call center for concierge referrals, scheduling, care navigation, nurse triage and telemedicine services for MHMG and the post-acute services. Prior to MHMG, David spent six years with ProMedica Physician Group in Toledo, Ohio, where he developed and led physician and nurse teams to implement systemic and systematic approaches to quality/safety improvement and innovation in both the acute and ambulatory care settings.
Current Professional Affiliations
- American Association for Physician Leaders (Member)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (Member)
- Ohio State Bar Assn., Health Law Section (Member)
- Health Management Academy
- America Hospital Assn., System ACO Reform Fellowship (Fellow)
- American Medical Group Association (Member)
- University of Toledo – BA in Biology
- Medical College of Ohio – MD
- University of Toledo College of Law – J.D.