Robert “Doug” Culling, DO, MS, CPE
Dr. Doug Culling is Corporate Vice President, Sentara Healthcare and President of Sentara Medical Group. As Corporate Vice President, he has responsibility for Risk Management and Occupational Health for the system. As President, he is responsible for the clinical and medical operations of a 700+ provider multispecialty medical group within a large integrated health system. He is responsible for strategic and operational leadership to include financial, capital, clinical and service quality management, provider productivity and physician recruitment. He also serves as the primary physician leader and liaison to the parent company, Sentara Healthcare. As Senior Executive, he is committed to providing value to our patients through improved access, patient satisfaction and optimization of our practices.
Prior to joining Sentara in 2014, Dr. Culling spent two years with Aurora Health Systems as Senior Vice President of Medical Operations and Chief Medical Officer for Aurora Healthcare and The Aurora Medical Group, an more than 1600 physician multispecialty medical group within a large integrated health system.
Prior to that, he served as Chief Medical Officer and then Chairman of the Board for ABQ Health Partners in Albuquerque, NM. Prior to joining ABQ Health Partners, he served as Chief Medical Officer and Vice President of Medical Affairs for Lovelace Medical Group and Lovelace Health Systems.
Current Professional Affiliations
- American Association for Physician Leadership (Member)
- American Medical Association (Member)
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (Member)
- University of Texas – Dallas (Dallas) – MS in Healthcare Management
- American College of Physician Executives – Physicians in Management I and II
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (Kirksville, MO) – DO
- University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ) – BS in Biology; BA in Psychology