Teresa L. Edwards is a Regional President for Sentara responsible for the system's Southside (VA) and North Eastern NC hospitals, which includes Sentara Leigh Hospital, Sentara Princess Anne Hospital, Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, and Sentara Albemarle Medical Center. She is also responsible for the Sentara Supply Chain, Operational Process Improvement, and the orthopedics and neurosciences service lines.
Edwards joined Sentara in 2008 as the President of Sentara Leigh Hospital, a 250-bed hospital in Norfolk, Va. that features one of the largest orthopedic programs in Virginia. Under Edwards' tenure, Sentara Leigh Hospital was ranked one of the Top 50 Hospitals for Orthopedics by U.S. News and World Report and completed a $129 million rebuilding of the hospital in its current location. Prior to joining Sentara, Edwards served in several executive management positions, including Executive Vice President and Administrator for Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center, Executive Administrator for the Cardiac and Thoracic Surgical Associates Group Practice, Chief Operating Officer for Williamsburg Community Hospital, and Assistant and Associate Administrator of Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Va.
Current Professional Affiliations
- South Hampton Roads YMCA: Chair, Executive Committee
- United Way of Virginia Peninsula: Board member and Chair of the 2018 Virginia Peninsula United Way Campaign; member, Women United
- Member of Chesapeake Young Life Committee
- American College of Healthcare Executives: Fellow; Awards and Testimonials Committee Member; Regents Advisory Committee Member
- United Way of Hampton Roads: Women's Leadership Council
- Board Member and Cabinet Member, Peninsula United Way, 2017-2019
Previous Professional Affiliations
- American College of Healthcare Executives – National Board of Governors, Recipient of Virginia Regents Award, 2017; Former Virginia Regent, Chair and member of ACHE Ethics Committee, Awards and Testimonials Committee, and Central Virginia Healthcare Executives Group (Founding Board Member)
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health Administration Department – Recipient of Alumni of the Year Award, 2017; Alumni Advisory Committee, Chair and Board Member; Adjunct Faculty
- Virginia Health Information - Board Member
- United Way of Hampton Roads – System Campaign Chair for Sentara, Member of Women United.
- New Kent County Planning Commission – Member
- Richmond Regional Planning Commission – Member
- Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia (Richmond, VA) – M.H.A.
- James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA) – B.S. in Public Administration