Sentara Heart and Vascular
The Sentara Healthcare heart and vascular program includes the nationally ranked Sentara Heart Hospital which is among the top one percent in the country for cardiology and heart surgery. The program's size and more than 30-year history marks it as one of the most experienced and innovative programs available, drawing patients from 49 states outside of Virginia and internationally.
- Nationally Recognized: Sentara Heart Hospital has achieved a top 50 national ranking for cardiology and surgery for almost two decades by U.S. News & World Report.
- Providers: The Sentara multidisciplinary team of experts includes more than 100 board-certified cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, vascular surgeons and anesthesiologists. Several of these subject matter experts are featured below.
- Innovation: The Sentara heart and vascular program uses the most advanced techniques, technologies and innovative programs available including:
- World's smallest pacemaker
- World's first dissolvable heart stent
- Catheter-based heart valve replacement
- Advanced cardiovascular imaging program (a collaborative partner of IBM Watson)
- Comprehensive advanced heart failure program which includes implantation of ventricular assist devices and artificial hearts
- Advanced heart arrhythmia program
- Research: The Sentara Cardiovascular Research Institute (SCRI) was established in 2005 to advance the understanding and treatment of cardiovascular disease. While Sentara has conducted heart research for decades, SCRI has allowed Sentara to be at the forefront of cardiology research, collaborating with local institutions, government agencies and biomedical companies nationally and internationally. Collectively, research nurses coordinate more than 80 clinical trials at any given time.