John Gaughen, M.D.
Director, Neurointerventional Surgery
Dr. John Gaughen joined Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital in October 2016, tasked with the development of the neurointerventional surgery and endovascular stroke service lines.
These service lines allow for diagnosis and minimally invasive treatment of a wide range of conditions involving the blood vessels of brain, neck and spinal cord. As the neurovascular hub to the Sentara Blue Ridge region, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital now works in concert with Sentara Rockingham Memorial Hospital to provide this service to the entire Blue Ridge region. The hospital has invested in a state-of-the-art biplane angiography suite system as support for the development of these service lines, which allows the hospital to provide treatments to diseases that previously have had to be treated elsewhere, including mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischemic stroke and embolization of ruptured and unruptured brain aneurysms.
Dr. Gaughen completed a residency in diagnostic radiology and is fellowship-trained in diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology. He received his medical degree from the University of Virginia and completed his residency and fellowship training at the University of Virginia. He is an active member of the American Society of Neuroradiology, the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery, the Southeastern Neuroradiological Society and the Virginia chapter of the American College of Radiology.
Dr. Gaughen has been a part of the Charlottesville community for more than 20 years. His wife, Cheryl, has been practicing at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital as an anesthesiologist with Albemarle Anesthesiology for the past four years.
- Medical School: University of Virginia School of Medicine Health System
- Internship: Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
- Residency: University of Virginia Health System
- Fellowship: University of Virginia Health System
Clinical Areas of Interest or Specialty
- Brain AVMs
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Dural fistulas
- Endovascular Treatment of Cerebrovascular Disease
- Hemorrhagic stroke
- Interventional radiology
- Ischemic stroke
- Preoperative tumor embolization
- Pulsatile tinnitus
- Spinal vascular malformations
- Vertebral augmentation
Certifications, Awards and Distinctions
- American Board of Radiology certified 6/6/2007
- American Board of Radiology – Certificate of Advanced Qualification – Diagnostic Neuroradiology 11/8/2010
- 2016 AVIR Symposium – Flow Diversion
- 40th Annual Meeting of the SENRS (2016) - New Frontiers in Endovascular Aneurysm Treatment (Self Assessment Module)
- SNIS 13th Annual Meeting (2015) - Neurosarcoidosis Presenting as Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: An Interesting Case and Novel Treatment
- 38th Annual Meeting of the SENRS (2014) - Current Treatment of Ruptured Intracranial Aneurysms (Self Assessment Module)
- 37th Annual Meeting of the SENRS (2013) - Flow Diversion for Intracranial Aneurysm Treatment
- Clinical efficacy of 2-phase versus 4-phase computed tomography for localization in primary hyperparathyroidism. Ramirez AG, Shada AL, Martin AN, Raghavan P, Durst CR, Mukherjee S, Gaughen JR, Ornan DA, Hanks JB, Smith PW. Surgery. 2016 Sep;160(3):731-7. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2016.04.016.
- An overview of antithrombotics in ischemic stroke. Schweickert PA, Gaughen JR, Kreitel EM, Shephard TJ, Solenski NJ, Jensen ME. Nurse Pract. 2016 Jun 19;41(6):48-55. doi: 10.1097/01.NPR.0000483077.47966.6e.
- Strategic and Technical Considerations for the Endovascular Embolization of Intracranial Meningiomas. James RF, Kramer DR, Page PS, Gaughen JR Jr, Martin LB, Mack WJ. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2016 Apr;27(2):155-66. doi: 10.1016/j.nec.2015.11.005. Review.
- Prevalence of dural venous sinus stenosis and hypoplasia in a generalized population. Durst CR, Ornan DA, Reardon MA, Mehndiratta P, Mukherjee S, Starke RM, Wintermark M, Evans A, Jensen ME, Crowley RW, Gaughen J, Liu KC. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016 Nov;8(11):1173-1177. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2015-012147.
- Endovascular treatment of ophthalmic artery aneurysms: Ophthalmic artery patency following flow diversion versus coil embolization. Durst CR, Starke RM, Clopton D, Hixson HR, Schmitt PJ, Gingras JM, Ding D, Liu KC, Crowley RW, Jensen ME, Evans AJ, Gaughen J. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016 Sep;8(9):919-22. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2015-011887.
- Randomized controlled trial of vertebroplasty versus kyphoplasty in the treatment of vertebral compression fractures. Evans AJ, Kip KE, Brinjikji W, Layton KF, Jensen ML, Gaughen JR, Kallmes DF. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016 Jul;8(7):756-63. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2015-011811.
- A method for complete angiographic obliteration of a brain arteriovenous malformation in a single session through a single pedicle. Durst CR, Starke RM, Gaughen J, Evans AJ. J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Feb;22(2):391-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2014.07.030.
- Direct comparison of Neuroform and Enterprise stents in the treatment of wide-necked intracranial aneurysms. Durst CR, Khan P, Gaughen J, Patrie J, Starke RM, Conant P, Liu KC, Jensen ME, Evans AJ. Clin Radiol. 2014 Dec;69(12):e471-6. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2014.07.015.
- Single-center experience with a dual microcatheter technique for the endovascular treatment of wide-necked aneurysms. Durst CR, Starke RM, Gaughen JR Jr, Geraghty S, Kreitel KD, Medel R, Demartini N, Liu KC, Jensen ME, Evans AJ. J Neurosurg. 2014 Nov;121(5):1093-101. doi: 10.3171/2014.7.JNS132237.
- Vision outcomes and major complications after endovascular coil embolization of ophthalmic segment aneurysms. Durst CR, Starke RM, Gaughen J, Nguyen Q, Patrie J, Jensen ME, Evans AJ. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2014 Nov-Dec;35(11):2140-5. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A4032.
- DynaCT imaging for intraprocedural evaluation of flow-diverting stent apposition during endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms. Ding D, Starke RM, Durst CR, Gaughen JR Jr, Evans AJ, Jensen ME, Liu KC. J Clin Neurosci. 2014 Nov;21(11):1981-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2014.04.003.
- Stenting of symptomatic intracranial stenosis using balloon mounted coronary stents: a single center experience. Durst CR, Geraghty SR, Southerland AM, Starke RM, Rembold K, Malik S, Wintermark M, Liu KC, Crowley RW, Gaughen J, Jensen ME, Evans AJ. J Neurointerv Surg. 2015 Apr;7(4):245-9. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2014-011185.
- Persistent trigeminal artery: in situ thrombosis and associated perforating vessel infarction. Gaughen JR, Starke RM, Durst CR, Evans AJ, Jensen ME. J Clin Neurosci. 2014 Jun;21(6):1075-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2013.10.016.
- Solitaire Flow Restoration thrombectomy for acute ischemic stroke: retrospective multicenter analysis of early postmarket experience after FDA approval. Mokin M, Dumont TM, Veznedaroglu E, Binning MJ, Liebman KM, Fessler RD 2nd, To CY, Turner RD 4th, Turk AS, Chaudry MI, Arthur AS, Fox BD, Hanel RA, Tawk RG, Kan P, Gaughen JR Jr, Lanzino G, Lopes DK, Chen M, Moftakhar R, Billingsley JT, Ringer AJ, Snyder KV, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI. Neurosurgery. 2013 Jul;73(1):19-25; discussion 25-6. doi: 10.1227/01.neu.0000429859.96652.57.
- Solitaire FR Thrombectomy for Acute Ischemic Stroke: Retrospective Multicenter Analysis of Early Postmarket Experience after FDA Approval. Mokin M, Dumont TM, Veznedaroglu E, Binning MJ, Liebman KM, Fessler RD 2nd, To CY, Turner RD 4th, Turk AS, Chaudry MI, Arthur AS, Fox BD, Hanel RA, Tawk RG, Kan P, Gaughen JR Jr, Lanzino G, Lopes DK, Chen M, Moftakhar R, Billingsley JT, Ringer AJ, Snyder KV, Hopkins LN, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI. Neurosurgery. 2013 Feb 25.
- Early postmarket results after treatment of intracranial aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device: a U.S. multicenter experience. Kan P, Siddiqui AH, Veznedaroglu E, Liebman KM, Binning MJ, Dumont TM, Ogilvy CS, Gaughen JR Jr, Mocco J, Velat GJ, Ringer AJ, Welch BG, Horowitz MB, Snyder KV, Hopkins LN, Levy EI. Neurosurgery. 2012 Dec;71(6):1080-7; discussion 1087-8. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0b013e31827060d9.
- Telehealth stroke education for rural elderly Virginians. Schweickert PA, Rutledge CM, Cattell-Gordon DC, Solenski NJ, Jensen ME, Branson S, Gaughen JR. Telemed J E Health. 2011 Dec;17(10):784-8. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2011.0080.
- Symptomatic Wingspan stent stenosis and occlusion: stent-in-stent rescue. Le TM, Gaughen JR, Jensen ME, Evans AJ. J Neurointerv Surg. 2010 Dec;2(4):348-50. doi: 10.1136/jnis.2009.001826.
- The efficacy of endovascular stenting in the treatment of supraclinoid internal carotid artery blister aneurysms using a stent-in-stent technique. Gaughen JR Jr, Hasan D, Dumont AS, Jensen ME, McKenzie J, Evans AJ. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010 Jun;31(6):1132-8. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A2016.
- Utility of CT angiography in the identification and characterization of supraclinoid internal carotid artery blister aneurysms. Gaughen JR Jr, Raghavan P, Jensen ME, Hasan D, Pfeffer AN, Evans AJ. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010 Apr;31(4):640-4. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A1893.