Sentara physician talks Enterovirus 68
SentaraNEWS had an opportunity to talk with Dr. Bogdan Neughebauer of Sentara Infectious Disease Specialists about Enterovirus 68.
Watch the interview to learn more about Enterovirus 68, as well as what symptoms to look for – especially in children – and tips for preventing the spread of the disease.
Advice for parents and patients
- The current outbreak seems to suggest that children are more prone to develop this infection.
- Parents should monitor their children for any new respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath and cough, especially if they have underlying asthma.
- They should call their family doctor if the child develops respiratory symptoms.
To decrease transmission of the virus:
- Clean surfaces such as counters, doorknobs, rails or toys.
- Wash hands with soap and water for 20-30 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom.
- Avoid prolonged or unnecessary contact with sick children.
- Patients should use their own set of eating utensils, should not share toys and should stay at home until symptoms improve.