5 tips you should know about handwashing
One of the most important steps you can take to prevent getting sick and spreading germs to other people is by washing your hands. Hand washing with soap removes germs from hands, which helps prevent infections.
Remember these basic tips to help keep yourself and others healthy.
- Good hand hygiene responsibility lies with everyone.
- Hands are the main way in which infection is spread so make sure to clean your hands to help stop the bugs from spreading.
- Hand hygiene should be performed all of the time, especially when going from dirty to clean areas.
- Hand washing instructions: Use soap and water to wash your hands. Turn off the tap and apply the soap. Lather your hands by rubbing them together, making sure to lather the backs of your hands, between the fingers and under the nails for a minimum of 20 seconds. Sing the Happy Birthday song to ensure you scrub for 20 seconds. Rinse your hands with clean running water. Dry hands with a clean towel or air dry.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has at least 60 percent alcohol. Read the label to determine the correct amount of sanitizer to place on the palm of your hand. After placing sanitizer on the hands, rub the hands together including all surfaces of your hands and fingers until the hands feel dry.
– Centers for Disease Control and Prevention