Screening and Prevention
Early detection really does save lives, and we encourage you to talk to your doctor about your risks and cancer screening schedule.
While there is no way to completely avoid some cancers, you can reduce your risk by:
- Avoiding tobacco
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Protecting yourself from the sun
- Getting immunized
- Avoiding risky behaviors
- Following a screening schedule, including self-exams
Sentara brings leading-edge cancer screening and prevention to patients by providing access to experienced specialists and the most advanced technology.
Here are a few screenings in which Sentara provides expert care:
- Mammogram to detect breast cancer
- Colonoscopy to detect and prevent colon cancer
- Prostate exam to detect prostate cancer