Becky Sawyer is Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer for Sentara Healthcare. She is responsible for HR Strategy and Execution for 28,000 employees including over 1,600 leaders across 12 hospitals, a health plan, four medical groups, nursing and rehabilitation centers and a fully integrated healthcare system with multi-state operations in Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio.
Ms. Sawyer supports a strategic HR program to maintain a positive, diverse, multigenerational workplace where members of the team develop their full potential and contribute to the Sentara mission to improve health every day. Her vision for an engaged team of system contributors working towards a common mission was recognized in 2018 by two system awards.
Sentara Healthcare was named to the Forbes 2018 America's Best Employers list (5,000+ employees), ranking No. 177 out of 500 companies in the Best Large Employers category. In addition, Sentara was nationally recognized for quality and safety as a Top 15 Health System in 2018 by IBM Watson Health in the large system category.
Prior to her promotion to a senior corporate position, Ms. Sawyer was Vice President of HR responsible for nine hospitals, plus Sentara Medical Group, Sentara Enterprises, Sentara Life Care and the Sentara-owned health plan, Optima Health. In 27 years with Sentara, Ms. Sawyer has held increasingly responsible HR leadership positions across multiple divisions.
- Virginia Board of Workforce Development Board
- Virginia Symphony Board
- Norfolk State University School of Business Board
- Hampton Roads VolunteerVision Cabinet
- Society for Human Resources Management (member)
- American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (member)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Troy University - BS in Business Administration
- Arkansas State University – Master of Public Administration (MPA)