Teresa L. Edwards is a Corporate Vice President for Sentara Healthcare responsible for the system’s Peninsula and Western Tidewater hospitals, which includes Sentara CarePlex Hospital, Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center and Sentara Obici Hospital. She is also responsible for the Sentara Life Care and Sentara Enterprises divisions, as well as the orthopedics and oncology service lines.
Edwards joined Sentara Healthcare in 2008 as the President of Sentara Leigh Hospital, a 250-bed hospital in Norfolk, Va. that features one of the largest orthopedic programs in Virginia. Under Edwards’ tenure, Sentara Leigh Hospital was ranked one of the Top 50 Hospitals for Orthopedics by U.S. News and World Report and completed a $129 million rebuilding of the hospital in its current location. Prior to joining Sentara Healthcare, Edwards served in several executive management positions, including Executive Vice President and Administrator for Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center, Executive Administrator for the Cardiac and Thoracic Surgical Associates Group Practice, Chief Operating Officer for Williamsburg Community Hospital, and Assistant and Associate Administrator of Henrico Doctors’ Hospital in Richmond, Va.
Current Professional Affiliations
- South Hampton Roads YMCA: Chair Elect, Executive Committee, and Chair of Center Operations Committee, Member of Young Life Chesapeake, Committee Member
- American College of Healthcare Executives: Fellow; Awards and Testimonials Committee Member; Regents Advisory Committee Member
- United Way of Hampton Roads: Women’s Leadership Council
- Board Member and Cabinet Member, Peninsula United Way, 2017-2019
Recent Professional Affiliations
- American College of Healthcare Executives: National Board of Governors, Virginia Regent, and Chair of Ethics Committee, Virginia Regents Advisory Committee (Member) and Central Virginia Healthcare Executives Group (Founding Board Member)
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health Administration Department: Alumni Advisory Committee, Chair and Board Member; Adjunct Faculty
- Virginia Health Information: Board Member
- United Way of Hampton Roads: System Campaign Chair for Sentara
- New Kent County Planning Commission: Member; Richmond Regional Planning Commission Member
- Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia (Richmond, VA) – MHA
- James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA) – BS in Public Administration