Community Health Needs Assessments
Sentara Healthcare has conducted community health needs assessments for our inpatient hospitals and outpatient surgical hospitals in the areas that we serve. The assessments provide us with a picture of the health status of the residents in our communities and provide us with information about health and health-related problems that impact health status.
Our assessments include a review of population characteristics such as age, educational level, and racial and ethnic composition because these factors can impact health. The assessments also look at risk factors, such as obesity and smoking, and health indicators, such as infant mortality and preventable hospitalizations. Community participation is important, so the assessment also includes input from local health departments, the school system, social services, community health centers, free clinics, local governments, and many others through a survey, focus groups and other means.
The needs assessment identifies numerous health issues that our communities face. Considering factors such as size and scope of the health problem, the severity and intensity of the problem, the feasibility and effectiveness of possible interventions, health disparities associated with the need, the importance the community places on addressing the need, and consistency with our mission to improve health every day, we have identified a number of priority health problems in our areas.
The community health needs assessments were used as the foundation for the hospital implementation strategies to address the priority needs identified. The assessments and implementation strategies have been adopted by each hospital's governing body. A number of resources are available in the community to address these needs through community partners such as the local health departments, United Way Agencies, academic institutions, and others. Information about these resources is available from sources like 2-1-1 and Sentara.com. Together, we will work to improve the health of the communities we serve.
Please see the list below of our inpatient hospitals and outpatient surgical hospitals (also known as ambulatory surgery centers). By clicking on the facility's name, you may learn more about that facility's community health needs assessment and may view and download a copy of the report.
- Sentara Albemarle Medical Center 2016
- Sentara CarePlex Hospital 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital 2012 | 2015 | 2018
- Sentara Leigh Hospital 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital 2012 | 2016 Supplement | 2016 MAPP2 Health Report
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center 2013 | 2016
- Sentara Obici Hospital 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara RMH Medical Center 2012 | 2015 | 2018
- Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Hospital for Extended Recovery 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- CarePlex Orthopaedic Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Geddy Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016
- Lake Ridge Ambulatory Surgery Center 2015 | 2016
- Obici Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Princess Anne Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Sentara BelleHarbour Ambulatory Surgery Center 2019
- Sentara Leigh Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Outpatient Surgery Center 2016 Supplement | 2016 MAPP2 Health Report
- Sentara Port Warwick Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016 | 2019
- Virginia Beach Ambulatory Surgery Center 2013 | 2016
Your input is important to us so that we can incorporate your feedback into our assessments. Please use our online form to contact us.