Introducing the Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh
The First Dedicated Orthopedic Hospital in South Hampton Roads
The 48-bed orthopedic center of Sentara Leigh Hospital will be designated as the Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh, effective May 24, 2017. This will be the first designated orthopedic hospital in South Hampton Roads and will join the Orthopaedic Hospital at Sentara CarePlex on the Peninsula as the only two in the region. This new designation comes after the completion of an eight-year renovation to the hospital that enabled Sentara Healthcare to better meet the needs and expectations of the community.
“Sentara Leigh Hospital and our dedicated team of orthopedic doctors, nurses, operating room staff, anesthesiologists, therapists and clinicians has been providing outstanding orthopedic care for many years,” said Joanne Inman, president, Sentara Leigh Hospital. “The Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh designation is a culmination of decades of excellence in orthopedic care and a logical next step for the hospital as it recognizes the orthopedic expertise community members expect.”
“Sentara Leigh Hospital completes the highest combined volume of inpatient knee and hip replacements in Virginia and has received many awards recognizing its quality, safety and service excellence,” said Carole Guinane, vice president, Sentara Healthcare orthopedics service line. “This concept of a hospital within a hospital designation reflects the concentration and specialization of orthopedic services at Sentara Leigh Hospital.”
The Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh provides patients access to the full complement of orthopedic services from pre-habilitation and surgery to rehabilitation and home care services. Specialized surgical orthopedic care is provided through board-certified and fellowship trained orthopedic physicians known for sub-specialization with expertise in joint replacement, hand and upper extremity care, shoulder surgery, sports medicine, orthopedic trauma care, orthopedic research, and more.
Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh Program Highlights
- Sentara Hand Specialty Center – In January 2017, the hospital opened the new Sentara Hand Specialty Center. The team of specialists at the Center is solely focused on the treatment of hand conditions from fingertip to elbow. This Sentara-developed program provides an easy path for people to quickly and conveniently access our specialized services, including urgent office appointments, 24/7 emergency coverage, outpatient & inpatient surgery/procedures, imaging, and hand therapy.
- Sentara OrthoJoint Center® – The singular focus of the Sentara OrthoJoint Center® is fulfilling the needs of orthopedic surgical patients undergoing hip or knee joint replacement surgeries. Patients benefit from a dedicated team approach among nurses, anesthesiologists, surgeons, physical therapists and home care. This centered approach improves both patient care and outcomes.
- ExpressTrack – The ExpressTrack option combines the high quality care of the Sentara OrthoJoint Center®, coupled with a shortened hospital stay. It is an optional program that requires the recommendation of the orthopedic surgeon and a commitment from the patient. To prepare for their ExpressTrack participation, patients receive preoperative education and information, including a patient and family guidebook that lets them know what to expect. This program was featured in Becker’s Healthcare Review’s “How 10 hospitals took their total joint replacement programs to the next level”.
Sentara Leigh Hospital Recognitions & Awards
- Becker's Hospital Review – “100 hospitals with great orthopedic programs” (2016)
- Blue Distinction for Spine Surgery, Blue Cross Blue Shield (2016)
- Blue Distinction for Knee and Hip Replacement, Blue Cross Blue Shield (2010-2016)
- Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, Health Grades (2015-2017)
- Magnet Recognition Program® designation (2015-2017)
- Outstanding Patient Care Award, CipherHealth (2016)
- Top 100 Hospitals, Truven (2017)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Hospitals in Virginia, ranked 9th (2016-2017)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Hospitals in Hampton Roads, ranked 2nd (2016-2017)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Hospitals, Orthopedic Care (2014-2015)
Sentara Leigh Hospital is a 250-bed facility that meets the needs and expectations of the community by offering comprehensive services for area residents with specialization in orthopedic, cardiac, advanced imaging, general surgical, gynecological, obstetrical and comprehensive breast care services.