Applesauce Date Muffins
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 20 pitted whole dates, diced
- 1 and 1/3 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl whisk together white and whole wheat flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice. Stir in dates until they are coated with flour.
- In small bowl blend together applesauce, oil, egg whites and vanilla.
- Make well in flour mixture. Pour applesauce mixture into well, stirring just to combine. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter equally into muffin cups. Bake 15 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.