Banana Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (6-ounce) container vanilla or banana yogurt
- ½ cup mashed banana (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup vegetables oil
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 20 muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In small bowl stir together the yogurt, banana, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, beating well after each addition, until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently fold in 1/3 egg white mixture until blended. Fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Lightly frost if desired. Store in airtight container at room temperature.