Barley, Hazelnut and Pear Stuffing
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons butter or no-trans-fat margarine spread
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large ripe pear, unpeeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- In large saucepan bring broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in barley. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter/margarine in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter/margarine. Stir in pear pieces. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Toast the hazelnuts: preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread hazelnuts on baking sheet; bake 5-7 minutes. Coarsely chop as needed.
- Add cooked barley and pepper. If the mixture seems dry, add another ¼ cup broth. Stir in hazelnuts.
- Can serve as side dish or as a stuffing for poultry or stuff into baked acorn squash half.