Barley Artichoke Salad on Romaine Lettuce
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dried quick-cooking barley
- ½ (13-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 8 small pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium Romaine leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add barley and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered tightly, for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except lettuce leaves.
- Drain cooked barley in colander. Run under cold water to cool quickly, and shake off excess liquid. Place in bowl with artichoke mixture and toss gently. Serve equally on lettuce leaf. Makes 4 servings.