Barley Baked Beans
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 2½ cups water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In small saucepan with cover, bring water to a boil. Add barley; return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Pour cooked barley into large bowl and combine with remaining ingredients. Pour into 2-quart baking dish. Bake in preheated 325º F oven for 2½ hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture can also be cooked all day in a slow cooker.
Makes 12 servings.