Barley Risotto with Mushrooms, Sausage and Tomato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ lb. mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb. low-fat turkey or chicken sausage, thinly sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley or brown rice
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine to saucepan and cook, stirring until wine is evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add broth and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender about 40 minutes, stirring in tomato about 10 minutes before cooking time is up.Remove saucepan from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese and pepper. Serve at once.
Makes 6 servings.