Bean and Apple Harvest Soup
- ½ lb. dried cannellini or white beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lb. firm apples, such as Golden Delicious
- 3 tablespoons butter-oil blend
- 3 whole cloves
- 6-8 cups water – adjust to desired consistency
- Zest of a lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Drain the soaked beans. Place in soup pot with bay leaf and fresh cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Decrease heat to simmering. Cover and let simmer for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Turn off heat. Stir in salt into soup. Let beans cool to soak in some of the liquid.
- Peel and core apples. Cut into thick slices.
- Place butter-oil blend in saucepan. Melt over medium heat. Add apple slices in saucepan. Add cloves. Cook apples for 3 minutes or until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Drain cooked beans and add to the saucepan. Stir in water.
- Increase heat and stir in lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cover the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or until apples are completely soft.
Note: canned rinsed beans can be used instead of the dried beans