Beans and Greens Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 small green onions, finely sliced
- ½ medium rib celery, finely chopped
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup canned no-salt-added white beans, such as navy beans, drained and rinsed
- In medium nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook green onions and celery for 4-5 minutes, or until celery is tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and the mixture comes away from the side of the skillet, stirring frequently.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except beans. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until flavors blend and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in beans. Cook uncovered for 1 minute or until beans are hot. For a thicker broth increase the heat to medium when you add the beans. Cook partially covered until some of the liquid evaporates and the soup is desired consistency.
Makes 2 servings.