Black-Eyed Peas with Sweet Peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 strips turkey bacon, sliced crosswise
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 mixed bell peppers, cut into ½ -inch squares
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup long-grain or brown rice
- Salt to taste (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until peppers are crisp tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, rice, salt, black pepper and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until beans and rice are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and hot sauce.
Makes 6 servings.