- 1(1-lb.) bag dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1½ cups diced onion
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 cups water
- Place soaked black-eyed peas in large stockpot. Add onion, shallots and bell pepper. Cover and let stand about 20 minutes for peas to absorb flavor.
- Add oil, salt and pepper; stir. Cover and let stand an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Add 3-4 cups water to cover the peas. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer with lid on for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Before serving, remove ½ cup cooked peas. Mash and stir back into the pot to thicken the cooking liquid. Omit this step if you prefer to drain off any remaining liquid.
Makes 10 servings.