- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped prunes
- ¼ - ½ cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a piece of waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the egg whites and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the prunes, peanuts and morsels.
- Spread the batter in the pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist-looking crumbs. Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.