Brown Sugar Berry Shortcakes
- 2 cups fresh berries: sliced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
- ¼ cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 2 cups reduced-fat biscuit baking mix
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons butter-oil blend, melted
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl toss berries with 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl stir together baking mix, 2 tablespoons sugar and baking powder. Pour buttermilk over dry ingredients and stir gently with spoon until dough comes together. Remove dough from bowl. Place on lightly floured surface. Pat into a 1-inch thick circle.
- Cut dough into 6 portions. Round each piece into a circle. Place on baking sheet. Brush with melted butter blend and sprinkle 1 teaspoon brown sugar over each shortcake.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool slightly.
- To assemble shortcakes: split each shortcake in half. Place bottom half on dessert plate. Cover with 1/3 cup berries, 1 tablespoon whipped cream and the shortcake top.