Cheesy Mac with Vegetables
September 22, 2015
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 2 cups uncooked whole-grain macaroni
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups skim milk
- 1 cup shredded 2 percent sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added petite diced tomatoes, drained
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare large casserole dish with cooking spray. Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt or fat. Set aside.
- Heat large pot over medium heat. Place flour in pot and gradually add milk, stirring with whisk until well blended. Continue to cook on medium heat, stirring frequently until thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Add cheeses and stir vigorously until melted. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Add spinach and mix well. Add tomatoes and macaroni and mix well to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes. Remove from over.
Makes 8 servings.