- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/3 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Toast oats on pan until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Transfer to large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Add flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to oats; stir to combine.
- In small bowl whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg and orange zest.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cherries, using a wooden spoon.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle top of each muffin with small amount sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to wire rack to cool.