Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 avocados cut in half and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread
- 1½ cups baby spinach
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl. Add olive oil, cumin, garlic and lemon juice. Mash with a fork. Add chickpeas and roughly mash. Stir in green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the chickpea-avocado mixture evenly between 6 slices of bread, and spread with a knife. Top with spinach leaves and then top with bread. Cut into halves.