Chocolate Snacking Cake
March 08, 2016
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 1 1/3 cups sifted self-rising flour
- 1 cup + 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang.
- Sift flour and 1 cup cocoa together in small bowl.
- Heat buttermilk and espresso in small saucepan over low heat until espresso is dissolved.
- Mix granulated and brown sugars, applesauce, buttermilk mixture and vanilla in medium bowl. Stir in flour mixture just until blended.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed just until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into pan. Bake just until set, about 35 minutes (do not overbake). Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Lift out cake and set on rack to cool completely. Sift confectioners’ sugar and remaining cocoa over cake. Cut into small squares.