Coconut and Peanut Butterscotch Bars
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 jumbo egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup instant oatmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ cup butterscotch morsels
- ¼ cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sweetened evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick coating spray.
- Place sugar, brown sugar and butter in bowl. Mix until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites and coconut extract; mix until well blended, about 1-2 minutes.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, oatmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Spoon dry ingredients into sugar-butter-egg white mixture; mix at low speed just to blend. Transfer to prepared baking pan; spread evenly. Top with butterscotch morsels, peanuts and coconut; drizzle condensed milk over all.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned and center is firm. Remove to wire rack to cool; cut into 16 servings. Serve warm or cover tightly and store.
Makes 16 servings.