Couscous-Spinach Stuffed Peppers
- ¾ cup uncooked regular or whole wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2¼ cups water, divided
- 4 medium colorful bell peppers
- ½ cup roasted bell peppers
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add couscous and lightly roast for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove couscous to plate. Set aside.
- In same skillet, heat oil. Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add spinach and oregano. Cook 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Add 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and return to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 7 minutes or until water in absorbed.
- Cut off ½ -inch from tops of bell peppers and remove the seeds and membranes. Fill peppers with couscous mixture and cover the pepper tops.
- Place pepper in deep skillet that holds the 4 pepper upright. Add ¼ cup water to bottom of skillet. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat and cover tightly with lid. Cook 8-9 minutes, until peppers are slightly soft. Remove peppers onto serving dish.
- Meanwhile place the sauce ingredients into food processor. Cover; process until smooth. Transfer to small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, stirring once in between. Pour sauce over peppers or serve alongside.
Makes 4 servings.