French-Style Beef Stew
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ lbs. beef top round, trimmed and cut into 1½ -inch cubes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¾ -inch chunks
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14½ -ounce) can whole no-salt-added tomatoes, broken up and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme tied together with kitchen string
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oil in medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining in ingredients except mushrooms and thyme leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms and simmer, covered, until meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour longer.Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Serve sprinkled with thyme leaves.
Makes 6 servings.
Note: This can be made in slow cooker instead.