Garbanzo Bean and Butternut Squash Stew
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seed
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (or canned beans that have been drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup reduced-fat or lite coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, pepper, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent but does not brown. Add cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Do not burn.
- Add water, soy sauce, squash and beans to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender and water is nearly cooked away.
- Stir in coconut milk and heat through. Add lime juice and cilantro; stir to blend. Makes 2 servings.