- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium red-skin potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 large yellow squash or zucchini, sliced
- 1 eggplant, peeled, cut into cubes
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added vegetable broth or water
- 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas, drained
- 2/3 cup raisins 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and carrots; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add onion, squash, eggplant, celery, bell pepper, spices and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, chick peas and raisins. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve vegetable stew over rice.
Makes 6 servings.