Herb and Spinach Quiche
- 1 box refrigerated pastry crust
- 1 package or bunch fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 1½ teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- ½ cup packed baby spinach
- 2 cups egg substitutes (or 8 eggs)
- ½ cup skim milk or fat-free half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll 1 pastry crust and fit into the bottom of a pie plate. Finish the crust edges as desired.
- Place ingredients in pie crust layered in this order from bottom to top: basil, rosemary, black pepper, onions and spinach.
- In small bowl whisk together egg substitute and milk or cream. Pour evenly over the spinach. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle capers evenly over the top of the quiche. Arrange tomato slices evenly over capers and drizzle with oil. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake for additional 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 8 slices.