Homestyle Vegetable Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¾ cup finely diced carrots
- 3 cups fat-free skim milk or evaporated skim milk
- ½ lb. medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces shredded 2% Mexican cheese blend
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- Place large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add olive oil and heat. Add onions, peppers and carrots. Cook vegetables for 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add milk, potatoes and Old Bay seasoning. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes tender.
- Add corn and salt. Cook 1 minute to heat through.
- Spoon into bowls and top with equal amounts cheese and green onions.