Mashed Potatoes with Fried Onions
- 3 cups peeled, cubed Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon butter or no-trans-fat margarine
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- ½ cup fat-free milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water. Cover with lid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; boil 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter/margarine in medium skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until browned.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan and place over very low heat. Add milk, onion, cilantro, salt and pepper; mash with potato masher. Makes 4 servings.