- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped peeled eggplant
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium white beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
- Place large soup pot over medium-high heat until hot. Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add peppers and onions; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add eggplant, mushrooms, garlic and basil, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, water and wine; stir to blend. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in beans and sugar. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or allow flavors to blend and for beans to heat thoroughly. Toss parsley with cheese and top each serving with a spoonful.
Makes 6 servings.