Pan-Fried Tofu with Greens
June 06, 2017
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 1/3 cup white miso or soybean paste
- 1/3 cup mirin or sweet rice wine
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
- ½ cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts, divided
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 (14-ounce) packages water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 8 cups greens
- In a small mixing bowl combine miso, mirin, vinegar and ginger with a whisk. Add in 2 tablespoons oil and whisk. Stir in the peanuts.
- Cut each tofu block into 8 (½ -inch thick) pieces crosswise. Place on several layers of paper towels. Lay several other layers of paper towels on top. Place a heavy cast iron skillet on top and let stand for 30 minutes to drain out excess water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 8 tofu slices to pan. Sauté 4 minutes per side or until crispy golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 8 tofu slices.
- To serve: place greens on 8 plates. Top each with 2 slices of tofu. Drizzle with miso dressing. Sprinkle each serving with remaining chopped peanuts.