Puff Pastry Berry Bars
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup sugar or preferred sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2½ cups mixed berries
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the pastry to 15x12-inch rectangle. Transfer to the parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl stir together the sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Cut any large berries in half. Add assorted berries to the sugar mixture. Toss to combine.
- Spoon berry mixture crosswise onto one half of the pastry crust, spreading evenly to within 1-inch of the edge.
- In small bowl whisk together the egg and water. Brush onto the uncovered edges of the pastry crust.
- Fold over the uncovered half of the pastry to cover the berries. Press the edges together firmly with a fork to create a seal. Brush the top lightly with the egg wash. Cut 2 to 3 slits across the top of the crust.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until curst is browned and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to continue cooling. Cut into 16 bars.
The cut bars can be stored in a single layer in a container with a lid; store in the refrigerator.